Browsing All Posts By sumpmanipump
Maintenance Tips for Sump Pumps
Sump pumps provide peace of mind to countless homeowners who live in high water table areas or areas otherwise prone to flooding. They’re the first, and in many cases only, line of defense many of these homeowners have against the scourge of basement flooding. But they’re not indestructible. Sump pumps require regular maintenance to ensure they’re able to answer the call when the water starts to rise. For the most part sump pump maintenance is pretty straightforward but just because it’s an easy DIY project doesn’t mean it can be ignored. Below we’ll look at a half dozen maintenance tips from sump pump guides that will help keep your sump pump humming along for years to come.
Tips to Keep Your Sump Pump Pumping
Sump pumps are the unsung heroes of the modern home.How sump pumps work is nothing short of fascinating While we dine or watch movies or take long lazy naps upstairs the sump pump is in the basement keeping a watchful eye over groundwater levels and snapping to attention should it detect trouble. Do your sump pump, your home and your family a favor by following these 6 simple sump pump maintenance tips:
- Clean the pit around the pump – The pit should be completely free of all dirt and debris. Failing to keep the sump clean could result in a clogged impeller or discharge tube which can cause the pump to fail when you need it most.
- Inspect the float – It’s important that the float be properly positioned. That it not be pinched in any way or have its movement obstructed by other objects. The float needs to move freely up and down or the pump could be rendered useless.
- Inspect the drain line – If the drain line is corroded or damaged in some way water that’s supposed to be pumped out of the basement will spill back in and you’ll have a flood on your hands. Inspect the line carefully for any signs of damage.
- Check the power cords – Make sure the pump cords aren’t in a position to potentially get tangled with the float. If the cords are dangling free use a zip tie or some other method to bind them together away from any moving parts on the pump.
- Make sure the lid is sealed properly – It’s important that the lid to the sump pump be fastened down securely at all times (except when you’re conducting maintenance of course). If the lid is loose or was not put back for some reason the pit can become a trash can that collects clothes dropped from the laundry basket, dirt, toys and more.
- Back up your pump – It’s not uncommon for the power to go out during floods. When this happens the sump pump goes out just when you need it most. You can prevent this by installing a battery operated backup sump pump that can be activated if the main pump is down.
A word of caution: Make sure you unplug the sump pump before doing any maintenance on it and don’t forget to plug it back in when you’re finished.
Best Heat Pump Reviews With Buying Guide
A heat pump is a type of air conditioning system that can also be used to heat a space. Most heat pumps consist of 2 parts. The indoor component is called the “air handler” while the outdoor component is the one typically referred to as the heat pump itself. One of the main advantages of the heat pump system is that it doesn’t actually generate heat, but instead harvests it from the surroundings. Because of that it consumes very little energy compared to something like a traditional furnace. As a general rule heat pumps alone are recommended for moderate climates. Whereas in extremely cold climates a supplemental heat source may also be necessary. That said let’s look at our choices for Best Heat Pump.
Our Top 7 Heat Pumps
Pioneer WYS012-17 Air Conditioner/Heat Pump 12000 BTU
The WYS012-17 is an inverter system that’s extremely efficient. This unit is capable of operating in any of 4 different modes: heating, cooling, ventilation or de-humidification.
- Fully programmable out to 24 hours in advance.
- Compact wall-mounted design is a space saver for smaller homes.
- Ductless system makes for easy installation and maintenance.
- Automatic restart reboots the system to last settings after power outage.
The system can be controlled manually or completely automated if you so wish. Or you can operate in a sort of hybrid fashion where some operations are automated but you retain the ability to tweak settings as conditions require.
- The system has a wide range of potential indoor temperature settings from a low of 62 to a high of 90 F.
- Heat pump feature will work effectively within an outdoor temperature range of 5 to 86 F.
- Add your heat pump to the Internet of things via the built in Wi-Fi capability.
- Robust customer support system allows for years of trouble free performance.
- All components are UL tested and approved.
- The instruction manual is not very helpful.
- Installing it is not a DIY project regardless of what you may hear.
MRCOOL DIY 24K BTU 16 SEER Ductless Mini-Split
Mr Cool has designed this 24K BTU heat pump system specifically for do it yourself installation and we have to say it is one of the easier systems on the market to install.
- Fully controllable from afar via Android or Apple phones and tablets.
- Precharged linesets drastically reduce hassle involved with installation.
- Completely ductless system makes for easy maintenance.
- Impressive warranty on parts and compressor.
If you’re able to follow directions and take your time you should be able to install the system and get it running in an afternoon. Linesets are precharged with environmentally friendly refrigerant and all electrical hookups are simple and well thought out. The unit itself comes with a 5 year warranty on parts and 7 years on the compressor, which is pretty impressive for a system designed to be installed by amateurs.
- Easy to understand and follow installation instructions.
- Built in refrigerant leakage detection helps prevent undetected corrosion.
- All electrical connections are pre-wired. Just plug and play.
- Mr Cool Remote App to control your heat pump system from afar.
- Always come home to a nice warm house.
- With any DIY system there is always the risk of something going wrong.
Senville 12000 BTU Mini Split Air Conditioner
The Senville 12K BTU Heat Pump has one of the wider operational ranges and is effective down to -22 Fahrenheit.
- Energy Star Certified system.
- Virtually silent operation when compared to furnace or other heat pumps.
- Anti-microbial filter ensures the heated air is healthy as well.
- Air vents can be adjusted to multiple directions.
This is a notably quiet unit that brings the heat on those incredibly cold mid-January nights when other heat pumps fail or need help from a supplemental system. If you’re looking for a heat pump to help keep the new addition warm this winter or you’ve tripped out the garage and need to add heat as the final touch this is the system for you. It’s also a relatively easy system to install although not for first time DIYers.
- Capable of providing heat when the ambient temp is as low as -22 Fahrenheit.
- Standard 5 year warranty on parts and 7 years on the compressor.
- So quiet you likely won’t know it’s on except for how warm you feel.
- An attractive system that’s more than just a pretty face.
- DC inverter provides unmatched efficiency and reliable performance.
- Electrical cables needed for installation are not included in the package.
Goodman 3 Ton 16 SEER
This Goodman Heat Pump/Air Conditioner provides high performance heating and cooling at both the high and low ends of the temperature spectrum.
- SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) rating of 16.
- Programmable performance for added convenience.
- Foam compressor blanket aids in keeping the noise down.
- Proprietary SmartShift Defrost technology.
This is an efficient 16 SEER unit that won’t send your electricity bills through the roof and will keep any room cozy warm through the toughest of winters. It’s not the quietest system on the market but quiet in this case is relative since none of the units in this list are going to keep you awake at night. By and large it’s a dependable, well-made heat pump you (or better yet your local HVAC pro) will be able to install with confidence.
- Attractive outdoor cabinet built to endure.
- Environmentally friendly R410A refrigerant won’t harm the ozone.
- May qualify for energy efficiency tax credits depending on your locale.
- Relatively lightweight and compact.
- Won’t send your electricity bills through the roof.
- Customer service may not be up to everyone’s standards.
Frigidaire 8000 BTU Compact
The Frigidaire 8000 BTU heat pump is designed to provide effective heating for a room up to 350 square feet.
- One of the few heat pumps you’ll find that offer window mounting as an option.
- Multi-function remote control with 24 hour programmability.
- 8K air conditioning and 7K heating with supplemental 3.5K heating capacity.
- Near silent operation so it’s ideal for nursery or bedroom.
This unit is extraordinarily quiet and gives you the option of programming it out to 24 hours in advance. You’ll never arrive home to find your favorite room cold again. It’s Energy Star certified and features Sleep Mode should you forget to turn it off. The unit offers optional window installation although to be sure you’ll want to pass on that if you live in an extreme climate. The unit is UL tested and certified and AHAM approved as well.
- Temperature control is precise and responsive.
- Comes with energy saver mode and sleep mode to conserve energy.
- Built in ‘check filter’ alert lets you know when filter issues arise.
- Handsome design won’t negatively impact your home’s curb appeal.
- Capable of dehumidifying 1.5 pints per hour.
- Some customers have questioned long term reliability.
GeoCool 2.5 Ton Horizontal Geothermal
The GeoCool 2.5 ton heat pump is built using the latest in geothermal technology and can reduce heating costs by as much as 70%.
- American made quality throughout.
- Highest Energy Star certification rating.
- Built in diagnostic capabilities make maintenance a snap.
- Compact size and near silent operation.
The GeoCool 2.5 ton heat pump boasts the highest Energy Star Rating and may also be eligible for government tax credits related to the use of geothermal energy. The air conditioning unit utilizes R410A environmentally friendly, ozone safe refrigerant which makes this an environmental winner no matter how you look at it. Made in the USA and designed to stand up to whatever mother nature can throw at it the GeoCool 2.5 ton geothermal heat pump will significantly lower your energy bills while making your home a more comfortable and environmentally responsible place.
- This type of geothermal system typically uses 50% less electricity than other heat pump systems.
- Geothermal system utilizes the earth’s natural inner heat thereby negating the need for fossil fuels.
- Since there is no outdoor condensing unit the system is much quieter than other types of heat pumps.
- That natural energy source won’t be depleted for several billion years.
- Installation is quick and the unit needs virtually no maintenance.
- While maintenance costs are typically low installation costs can be higher than with other types of heat pumps.
Hydro-Tech Cupronickel 4 Ton 14.7 EER
On the SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) scale the higher the number the more energy efficient. And with a SEER rating of 14.7 this Hydro-Tech Water Source Heat Pump is among the most energy efficient available.
- Can be run as a standard heat pump or as a geothermal unit.
- SEER rating of 14.7 translates to low energy bills going forward.
- Thoroughly tested before being brought to market.
- Removable access panels on the unit make maintenance a breeze.
A water source heat pump is one where a briny solution inside ground pipes draws energy from a water source. That energy is then transformed to heat and distributed throughout the home in a manner reminiscent of the steam heat systems of old (although different in the details to be sure). This Hydro-Tech heat pump then is not what most people will think of when they think of heat pumps. Still it’s a remarkably effective and efficient system for heating part or all of your home.
- The heat pump sports a tiny footprint that won’t gobble up real estate.
- Outstanding thermal efficiency and noiseless operation.
- The unit is insulated with anti-microbial materials that make for a healthier indoor environment.
- Field reversible blower assemblies help optimize airflow.
- Fully digital control capability.
- The system will require proximity to a usable body of water in order to maximize savings.
Types of Top Rated Heat Pumps
Heat pumps are generally defined as any device that harvests heat from a cool environment and transfers it to a warmer environment, which actually runs against the grain of nature. Because they require electricity to power the harvesting and transfer of heat they can’t technically be considered renewable energy, although they’re as close as any type of non-renewable can come to that designation. The various types of heat pumps in use today on residential and commercial buildings are:
- The ductless mini-split system – This is probably the most common form of heat pump system being used in homes today and is characterized by the wall mounted component that is typically used to heat individual rooms. There are no heating ducts with this type of system so they are easy to install and maintain. These are essentially the same as the air source heat pump but work on a smaller scale.
- Air source heat pumps – This type of heat pump is typically fitted to the exterior of a structure and draws in air from which it harvests heat. That heat is then fed directly into the household heating system to warm the home without burning fossil fuels. While these systems were a bit unwieldy when first introduced they have been refined to the point where they are now extremely energy efficient and have become quite popular. They do have their performance limits however.
- Geothermal heat pumps – With this type of heat pump pipes are laid directly into the ground that draw upon the earth’s own heat and transfer it into the home or business. This type of system is extremely dependable since the internal temperature of the earth once you get away from the immediate surface is predictable and stable. The trade off however is a higher setup cost since extensive excavation will be required.
- Water source heat pumps – With this type of system water is heated either by the sun or by geothermal heat and then circulated within the home or business to provide warmth. When pipes are laid in the ground they are submerged in a water source from which a briny solution in the pipes absorbs the available heat. That brine is then circulated through the heat pump which extracts the available energy and transfers it to the home or business to provide warmth. These systems are very efficient but also require a higher setup cost.
- Hybrid heat pumps – A hybrid system is one of the above described systems that often (but not always) has a fossil fuel powered system to back it up. You’ll typically find these types of heat pumps in areas which experience temperature extremes because some air source heat pump systems, for example, are unable to extract energy from outside air once the temperature drops below a certain point. The hybrid system ensures you’ll always have adequate heat in such places which is important to avoid pipes freezing and bursting and to maintain a healthy environment for everyone in the home. Some hybrid systems will combine air and ground heat sources. This way when the air becomes too cool to be usable the ground source kicks in and picks up the slack. Hybrid heat pumps are a good idea if you can afford them simply because they provide that extra measure of insurance against a cold house.
- The way of the future – Because they utilize so many readily available non-fossil fuel energy sources and because the concepts behind them are typically easy to understand heat pumps have gained quite a lot of traction with homeowners. Yes they require electricity to operate which means you’ll see a bump in your electricity bills but the increase will be more than offset by savings in oil or gas consumption.
The best heat pump designs are future-tech that is with us now. They constitute one of the smartest ways to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels, reduce the amount of CO2 released into the atmosphere and insure we leave our children and grandchildren a world worth living in.
Comparison Of Battery Backup,Pedestal Sump Pump & Sump Sump Alarm
Top 5 Best Sump Pump Comparison Table
- Name- Zoeller M53
- Type - Submersible
- GPH - 2700 GPH
- HP - 1/3 HP
- Warranty - 1 Year
- Name- WAYNE CDU980E
- Type - Submersible
- GPH - 4600 GPH
- HP - 3/4 hp
- Warranty - 5 Year
- Name- Basement Watchdog BW1050
- Type - Submersible
- GPH - 3000 GPH
- HP - 1 hp
- Warranty - 2 Year
- Name- Superior Pump 91250
- Type - Utility
- GPH - 1800 GPH
- HP - 1/4 HP
- Warranty - 1 year
- Name- Liberty Pumps 257
- Type - Submersible
- GPH - 3800 GPH
- HP - 1/3 HP
- Warranty - 3 year
Our Top 5 battery Backup Sump Pump
- WAYNE ESP25 12 Volt Battery Back-Up Sump Pump System with Audible Alarm
- 12 Volt: 3300 Gallons Per Hour
- Item Weight : 16.3 lb
- Product Dimensions: 7.2 x 5 x 10 inches
- Warranty: 2 Years
- WAYNE WSS30V Pre-Assembled 120/12V 1/2 HP Primary and Battery Backup Combination Sump Pump System
- 12 V: 3300 gallons per hour 120 V: 4200 gallons per hour
- Item Weight : 24 lb
- Product Dimensions : 22.5 x 17 x 15 inches
- Warranty: 5 Years
- Liberty Pumps SJ10 1-1/2-Inch Discharge SumpJet Water Powered Back-Up Pump
- 2-Gallon of sump water per 1-Gallon used
- Item Weight : 5 pounds
- Product Dimensions : 14.5 x 5.1 x 21.6 inches
- Warranty: 2 Years
- WAYNE WSM3300 Sump Minder(TM) Advanced Notification Battery Back-Up Sump Pump System
- 12 Volt: 3000 gallons per hour
- Item Weight : 13 lb
- Product Dimensions : 16.1 x 9.6 x 14.2 inches
- Warranty: 2 Years
- Zoeller 507-0005 Basement Sentry Battery Backup Pump
- 12 Volt: 3000 Gallons Per Hour
- Item Weight : 13.3 lb
- Product Dimensions : 7 x 7.8 x 12.5 inches
- Warranty: 1 Year
Best 5 pedestal Sump Pump Comparison Table
- Flotec FPPM3600D-01/09 1/3 HP Pedestal Sump Pump
- Item Weight : 11.3 pounds
- Product Dimensions : 6 x 33 x 6 inches
- Customer Reviews : 54+
- Wayne SPV500 1/3 HP 3,100 GPH Pedestal Sump Pump, Cast Iron
- Item Weight : 21.8 pounds
- Product Dimensions : 8 x 8 x 34 inches
- Customer Reviews : 20+
- Superior Pump 92301 1/3 HP Cast Iron Pedestal Pump
- Item Weight : 25 pounds
- Product Dimensions : 8.5 x 8.5 x 36 inches
- Customer Reviews : 13+
- Zoeller 84-0001 Old Faithful 84 Pedestal Pump, 1/2 HP, 115V
- Item Weight : 23.3 pounds
- Product Dimensions : 9.5 x 9.5 x 32.5 inches
- Customer Reviews : 3+
- Do it Pedestal Sump Pump
- Item Weight : 28 pounds
- Product Dimensions : 9 x 6.5 x 34.3 inches
- Customer Reviews : 20+
Top 5 Sump Pump Alarm With Ultimate Comparison
- Control Products FreezeAlarm Homesitter Temperature, Water, Power Alarm HS-700
- Item Weight : 1.2 pounds
- Product Dimensions : 2.5 x 8 x 11 inches
- Customer Reviews : 220+
- Zoeller 10-1494 A-Pak Indoor Alarm System
- Item Weight : 2.8 pounds
- Product Dimensions : 7.5 x 7.5 x 4.5 inches
- Customer Reviews : 20+
- Basement Watchdog BWC1 Basement Watchdog Dual Float Sump Pump Switch
- Item Weight : 1.6 pounds
- Product Dimensions : 12 x 9 x 4 inches
- Customer Reviews : 300+
- Glentronics, Inc. BWD-HWA Basement Watchdog Water Sensor and Alarm
- Item Weight : 5.6 ounces
- Product Dimensions : 4 x 2 x 5 inches
- Customer Reviews : 1150+
- In/Outdoor High Water Alarm w/ Pilot Light and Horn for Septic / Sump / Pond & Other Applications
- Item Weight : 1.9 pounds
- Product Dimensions : 3 x 3 x 3 inches
- Customer Reviews : 27+
Best Pedestal Sump Pump Reviews 2018 Guide
When compared to submersible sump sump, Pedestal ones are different because they sit elevated above the sump water position. There is either a float sensor or a switch which prompts the pump to turn on once the water reaches the designated level. With homeowners, the best pedestal sump pump is advantageous when compared to other options because of its flexibility when removing water from a sump basin.The sump pumps themselves are typically long and slender, so they’re easy to recognize compared to their submersible cousins. Depending on the model, parts will be made of cast iron, stainless steel, bronze or another strong metal that protects the inner workings and increases its useful life.
Each model offers a different available horsepower to deliver increased suction power when it’s needed the most (usually when the basement is flooding, and the homeowner is in full-scale panic mode). With greater horsepower, basements and other areas that are flooded gets cleaned up sooner which helps avoid additional water damage due to painfully slow water removal. Something well worth considering when looking to cut costs with a cheaper, less powerful pump.
Top 3 Best Pedestal Sump Pump Reviews
Flotec FPPM3600D-01/09 1/3 HP Pedestal Sump Pump
The Flotec FPPM3600D-01/09 is a reliable best sump pump from one of the best brands in the market. The model has a 1/3 horsepower which helps it keep up when a basement is flooding quickly. Without the need to lift water up, up to 3,480 gallons each hour is pumped out and 2,460 gallons each hour is disposed of when moving the water 10 feet above basement level.
A 12-inch diameter is required for clearance to place the pump into position and begin pumping out water. This makes the model ideal for enclosed spaces where other pumps like a submersible one would not be able to fit at all.A 3.5-amp power supply is necessary to run the pump. There is a thermal sensor to protect against overloads that turns off the motor if it gets too hot to prevent the circuitry blowing out. An 115-120 VAC outlet (GFCI-type) is required, and this model comes with a decent 6-feet power cord to reach the far side of a room. The FPPM3600D-01/09 model remains operational at temperatures between 35F and 77F.
A meshed screen prevents debris in the water from clogging up the works and stopping the pump from operating. Accordingly, the impeller is a non-clogging version to maintain the same level of suction power. A 1 ¼-inch discharge outlet keeps the water moving. The unit is manufactured using both cast iron and stainless steel parts to offer greater durability than other inexpensive competing products.The item is purchasable on its own or with an agreement for an installer to deliver and install the unit for the homeowner.It is worth noting that there is no battery backup supplied with this device.This Flotec model is an excellent option to enable flooded basements to be cleaned quickly and efficiently. We consider this the top pedestal sump pump available at the time of writing.
Wayne SPV500 1/3 HP 3,100 GPH Pedestal Sump Pump, Cast Iron
The Wayne SPV500 is a high-quality product from a manufacturer that’s been involved with producing many types of pumps for decades. This pedestal sump pump is a 1/3 horsepower, cast iron one that is both rugged and robust. With a maximum outflow of 1 ½-inch NPT discharge rate, up to 3,100 gallons of water is pumped out every hour with this model.
The pump is also even narrower than the one reviewed above with only an 11-inch diameter required to fit it into position. Given its slender design, the Wayne SPV500can accommodate even smaller, less accessible basement and other areas that are flooding.The sump pump is protected with a cast iron casing. The long column is made from coated steel, and fasteners made of durable stainless steel holds it all together. Clearly, this product is built to last with the use of quality components.
There is a 2-pole float switch which offers a dependable response through its basic on/off option that turns the pump on when the water level reaches too high and turns it back off again when the water level has reduced appropriately.The motor also has some protection to ensure it’s able to maintain the 1/3 horsepower and its full suction capabilities. It is a high-torque one for improved power distribution. It has thermal limits placed on it to avoid it overheating during use where it’ll switch off to avoid burning the engine burning out.It is worth noting that there is no battery backup supplied with this device.
Superior Pump 92301 1/3 HP Cast Iron Pedestal Pump
The Superior Pump 92301 is a reliable model that offers some exciting features. To begin with, it is capable of pumping out 3,000 gallons per hour to clear the water from a flooding basement and to keep on doing so. There is a switch that floats and triggers the 1/3 horsepower motor to kick into action. The switch is sensitive and is adjustable to suit the homeowner.The pump is powered by a 2.76-amp, 120-volt AC outlet. The air-cooled motor has copper windings and a built-in thermal protection to avoid it overheating and blowing out; the motor will turn off to let it cool down. There is a split capacitor at work here helping out the continuous duty feature of the engine.
For additional durability, the main body of this sump pump is made from cast iron or thermoplastic to protect it. There is an impeller and drive shaft made from anti-corrosive stainless steel, a stainless steel float ball as part of the switch mechanism, and a one ¼-inch FIP discharge capacity too. The power cord is a generous 10-feet long and is waterproofed. Liquids from cold up to 180F are managed by the pump to suit hot or cold days.The model is designed for sump basins that are at least 12-feet or later. With the water pump running at full capacity, water is lifted up to 20 feet above ground level.There is a manual power switch that is clickable at the top of the motor housing to manually test the product. It is a useful extra beyond the automatic activation via the stainless steel float ball system. It’s advisable to manually test the pump before completing an installation.It is also worth noting that there is no battery backup supplied with this device.
A pedestal sump pump is an indispensable tool to add to a house basement to avoid the risk of the home becoming flooded. The use of this type of sump pump instead of a submersible one is helpful when access to the sump basin is fairly restrictive, or there is limited space to install a larger device. With self-cleaning systems that avoid clogging, a pump is less likely to break down. However, with the greater accessibility of a pedestal sump pump, that’s also easier to fix than with a submersible one.We have reviewed three of the top pedestal sump pump products on the market. They’re not the only ones available, but they offer some of the best features and excellent value, without sacrificing important performance where it counts.
Related Products :-
Best Sump Pump Alarm Reviews
The sump pump may be the most underappreciated appliance in the modern home. Without it houses built in high water table areas or areas prone to flooding from heavy rains and snow melt would find themselves on the shaky ground unable to maintain the integrity of their foundations and with all manner of dangerous bacteria, molds and other invasive organisms taking up permanent residence in the basement. But sump pumps aren’t infallible and even the best may find itself overwhelmed at some point. That’s where alarms come in. If the water level in your basement is rising too fast for the pump to keep up the alarm will sound notifying you it’s time to take extraordinary action before it’s too late. Likewise, if the power has gone out and you don’t have a battery-powered backup the alarm will alert you to rising water before it’s too late to do anything about it. Our top 5 Best Sump Pumps Alarms for 2017. Below we’re going to review what we consider the 5 best sump pump alarms available today. Let’s begin.
Top 5 Best Sump Pump Alarms
Control Products HomeSitter Power Alarm HS-700
The HomeSitter HS-700 from Control Products is an affordable home monitoring system that warns of a variety of threats to your home including extreme temperatures, power failures and – most important for this review – basement flooding. The HS-700 sets up in just a few minutes and is self-contained. That is, there are no monitoring fees to pay to 3rd parties or outrageous installation costs.The HS-700 is a great little tool that will help protect your home from numerous threats and do so without you having to sign any odious monitoring contracts with 3rd parties. The unit can be programmed to call up to 3 phone numbers in case of emergency and will also sound an audible alarm. Should water in the basement overwhelm, your sump pump’s ability to keep up the HS-700 will alert you so you can call for backup help before things get out of control? This is not just handy for high water table-related events but also in cases of burst pipes or flash flooding in your area.
- High water, burst pipe, burst washing machine and general flooding sensors alert you to an array of water-related hazards.
- Power outage alarm lets you know your sump pump is out of action.
- Can be programmed to call up to 3 phone numbers.
- Audible alarm alerts you to problems if you’re home.
- Runs on regular power but also has a battery backup in case of power outages.
- Low battery warning alarm.
Zoeller 10-1494 A-Pak Indoor Alarm System
Zoeller knows sump pumps which mean they also know what can happen if a sump pump is overwhelmed or powered down during an extreme weather event. On those occasions, you need something to alert you to the fact that water levels are rising fast in the basement or that your sump pump is out of service at a time you may need it most. Enter the Zoeller 10-1494 A-Pak Alarm.The A-Pak is suitable for use with all sump pumps or can simply be installed anywhere you think high water might be a problem including lift pump chambers, holding tanks, septic tanks and of course sump pump basins. For the record Zoeller recommends the A-Pak 10-1494 not be plugged into the same circuit as your sump pump. This will protect the A-Pak from being tripped if the sump pump somehow accidentally trips the circuit breaker.
Zoeller is well known for the quality of their product lines and the A-Pak is certainly no exception. This sump and septic pump alarm should provide years of reliable service, helping you rest easy knowing your home is protected from water-related emergencies.
- Audible high water alarm.
- Battery backup (9-volt battery not included).
- Composed of non-corrosive materials for long life and reliable performance.
- 12 volt AC power.
- Manual shut off.
- 15-foot float switch power cable included.
- Audible alarm rated to 86 decibels at 10 feet.
Basement Watchdog BWC1 Dual Float Sump Pump Switch with Controller
The basement has come to play an increasingly important role in the domestic lives of many families. With basement conversions becoming almost standard fare for many homeowners protecting media rooms, offices, libraries, recreation rooms, in-law suites and more from the ravages of high water tables and intermittent weather-related flooding is now more important than ever.The Dual Float, Sump Pump Controller, is not so much a standard alarm as it is, well, a watchdog that monitors your sump pump’s viability and gives it an extra nudge if needed. As the name implies there are 2 floats at work with this controller. The first activates the sump pump if there is a water level rise of more than 1/4 inch in the sump pump basin. The second float is a failsafe device that kicks in if the first float fails for any reason.
- Large primary float sensitive to water level changes of 1/4 inch which allows the sump pump to stay ahead of water conditions.
- Back up float automatically activates pump if primary float fails for any reason.
- Protective cage keeps trash and other debris from interfering with the proper operation of the pump while the buildup of debris under the float is minimized by the float’s curved design.
- Pump runs for 10 seconds beyond standard shut off point to ensure excess water is drained from the sump basin. This helps ensure easy water level maintenance.
Glentronics, Inc. BWD-HWA Basement Watchdog Water Sensor and Alarm
This second entry on our list from the folks at Basement Watchdog is a straight up basement water alarm system intended to alert you to the risk of rising water in the basement. The BWD-HWA sensor is installed in sump pits or other spots that require monitoring particularly around washing machines, water heaters, under sinks and more. There is also a 6-foot long wire so that the sensor can be extended inside the sump pit should you so desire. Circuitry for the HWA sensor is very reliable solid state while the audible alarm is a robust 110 decibels (so you don’t want to be standing next to it when it goes off). The HWA is super sensitive and can detect a rise in water levels as small as 1/32 of an inch.
- Ultra-sensitive device that detects water only 1/32 of an inch deep.
- Audible alarm is an impressive 110 dB at 10 feet.
- Runs on 9-volt alkaline battery (not included)
- The Battery-saver feature only consumes energy should set the alarm sound.
- Alarm can potentially sound for up to 3 full days.
- The alarm sports a trim profile of 4-1/4” x 1-1/4” x 3-1/4.”
- Sensor wire can easily be extended by more than 100 feet.
In/Outdoor High Water Warning System for Septic/Sump/Pond
The Sump Alarm Indoor/Outdoor Alarm is made in the US for domestic applications. The system has some trouble indicators including a 1-inch wide red LED light visible from a hundred yards or more that flashes when the alarm sounds. This Sump Alarm system can be easily installed to work with virtually any sump pump, sewage system or water tank and the 90-decibel horn is enough to wake those who are sound asleep on upper floors of the home.
The Sump Alarm system is easy to install simply mount the head unit, place the float in the desired location, plug the unit in and you’re ready to go. With the unit in place you’ll be able to rest easy knowing that you’ll be notified quickly of any high water events so that you’re able to undertake mitigation efforts before things get out of hand. While we like this unit we couldn’t help wishing it had the mobile alert capability. However, the alarm is loud enough to alert the neighbors so even if you aren’t home they can ring you up to tell you there’s a problem.
- LED pilot light has extremely long life.
- 90-decibel horn is enough to alert you and the neighborhood that something is amiss.
- Can be used indoors or outdoors due to its weatherproof enclosure.
- Installation can be handled by the homeowner and takes only minutes.
- 4 rear mounting holes as well as mounting feet.
- 10’ float switch cord included.
- Float switch is rated to 100,000 cycles.
Sump pumps are life savers, or at least house savers but they too need some way to tell us they’re having a problem. Sump pump alarms are the way to do that. Any of the alarm/backup systems noted above will do the job commendably and all are well within reach financially so there’s no excuse not to have a proper alarm system for your sump pump.
- Pedestal Sump Pump
WAYNE WSS30V Battery Backup Combination Sump Pump
The WAYNE WSS30V Pre-Assembled 120/12V 1/2 HP Primary and Battery Backup Combination Sump Pump System is the final solution for protecting a basement from flooding. The WSS30V model is available as a sump pump, a sump pump, and battery, and there is a separate battery available. The sump pump works with either a marine or deep cell battery type too.The ½ horsepower primary sump pump is powered from a power outlet, with a backup 12-volt battery backup sump pump available for times when power fails across the property during inclement weather. The primary pump has a cast iron surround/base to make it resistant to corrosion. It also has an extremely low decibel output, so the automatic on/off functionality during the night of a big storm won’t wake up the inhabitants intermittently.
A high level of suction is achieved which is powerful enough to extract various debris that would otherwise get caught up in the impeller. The lack of clogging saves time and money on subsequent maintenance, though some irregular maintenance is still recommended.The product is designed for sump basins that have at least a 15-foot diameter area and preferably a large basin than this to make the best use of this powerful sump pump.The vertical float switch ensures accurate readings about current water levels and triggers the motor to spin up to begin pumping out water quickly. The primary pump is capable of pumping 4,200 gallons per minute on the AC power, but around 3,300 gallons per minute under battery power. The backup battery system needs either a 75-amp hour deep cycle or 40-amp hour marine battery to provide sufficient power to the sump pump unit. Two, not one, reliable check valves are there to ensure continual operation of this product.
A battery box and charger are supplied which charges a 12-volt battery separately. The beauty of this system is that it offers an AC-powered primary pump and a battery-powered backup option in a single package rather than needing to purchase, setup and maintain two separate sump pump systems (one AC-powered and one battery powered). Either choose the model that comes with a battery or purchase a separate compatible battery for this sump pump.
The sump pump is designed to activate when the water level reached 9-inches and turns itself off when enough water has been pumped out to reduce the water level to just 4-inches. There is a built-in alarm system which has visible LED lights to confirm when there is a problem with the system.The equipment is pre-assembled, so it’s not necessary to know to hook everything up.
Given the cast iron construction and overall durability of the parts, the Wayne WSS50V sump pump comes with an impressive 5-year warranty.
• Dual sump pump system (Wayne CDU800 unit) with a 120-volt AC-powered primary sump pump and a 12-volt battery-powered backup pump
• Powerful ½ horsepower primary sump pump capable of pumping 4,200 gallons per and just over 3,000 gallons per minute with a 10-foot flow uplift
• 12-volt secondary battery-powered battery that pumps out 3,300 gallons per across a flat surface
• Durable cast iron casing
• Two check valves
• Battery box and charger with LED indication lights
• Alarm system to audibly warn homeowners of a problem with the pump
• Powerful suction power
• Intended for sump basins that have a 15-foot diameter or greater
• Activates pump when water level at or above 9-inches
• Assembled in the USA; parts made in the USA and other countries
• 5-year limited warranty
• Not all versions come with a battery
• Choosing a compatible non-Wayne supplied battery may be a challenge for some people who are unsure the correct battery to purchase
• Stops pumping when water level falls to 4-inches
Choosing the right sump pump for your home is a personal decision. We all wish to safeguard our home when the worst of a storm begins to batter all sides of the place where we lay down at night to sleep. Whilst foundations provide the strength underpinning the building’s structure, it is the drainage system and the sump basin that ensure water doesn’t build up around and beneath the home to undermine the integrity of the foundation. The use of a sump pump that’s powerful enough to provide sufficient suction and ability to pump gallons of water out faster than it’s coming in is vital to avoid flooding the basement and causing severe damage to décor, possessions, and possibly the internal structure of the home too.
Not all sump pumps are the same. Each has an engine with different power under the hood. The pumps themselves are either AC-powered which offer the strongest suction and pumping ability, but without a gasoline or diesel-powered home generator, will cut out at the worst time. Other sump pumps are battery-powered which offers another option to keep water levels down sufficiently when they begin to rise. Many homeowners choose to either buy both an AC-powered and a battery-powered pumping system or they purchase a single unit that offers the above functionality in a single solution. Either way, the investment in a reliable sump pump is essential to maintain the value of a home and ensure it stays protected from the elements outside.
Zoeller Aquanot® 508-0007 12 Volt Backup Pump
The ZoellerAquanot® 508-0007 is a backup unit that is self-contained to provide support for times when either the primary sump pump failed completely, or the AC-powered sump pump lost its power supply in a storm just when it was needed the most.The Aquanotcomprises the Zoeller M98 ½ horsepower pump with a 12-volt backup sump pump to deliver secondary water pumping ability in a sump basin to ensure the home stay dry.The cast iron pump comes with a vertical float switch. The thermoplastic base protects the innards. The engine is hermetically sealed to avoid heat build-up and comes pre-oiled. When running, up to 4,320 gallons of water is pump-able out of the basin and to a safe distance from the home.
A 10-amp battery charger is supplied, along with the controllable LED display system. There is protection from overcharging the battery and burning it out. Its voltage and other information are supplied to the LED display. Six-inch leads are also provided.
There are alarms capable of alerting via a home security system or calling an emergency number when there is an electrical problem, low battery level or the water level is higher than expected. Full LED light indicators confirm charging status, low battery level, AC power, high water levels, alarm status, and more.The unit doesn’t come with a battery, but it suits several types of batteries available from Zoeller.The ZoellerAquanot comes with a 3-year limited warranty.
Considerable Pros and cons of ZoellerAquanot® 508-0007 sump pump
• Backup sump pump system using Zoeller M98 pump
• Runs off a battery that’s continuously charged and separate to the AC system
• 10-amp battery charger included
• LED display screen to monitor system status
• Alarm system to alert homeowners to failure of the unit, water levels, low battery and more
• Doesn’t come with a battery
• Not a bilge pump too
WAYNE CDU800 Submersible Cast Iron and Steel Sump Pump
The WAYNE CDU800 1/2 HP Submersible Cast Iron and Steel Sump Pump with Integrated Vertical Float Switch is a complete system. The model is available as an individual pump, a pump, and battery together, with a separate battery purchasable individually too. For homeowners (and professional plumbers) who want to purchase complete systems or easily replace batteries that have failed, the availability of different purchasing options with CDU800 is helpful.The system is ideal as a backup sump pump for occasions when the power cuts out, and only a backup battery-powered sump pump will keep the basement and other areas of the home from flooding. For homeowners looking for a secondary sump pump to protect against the first one failing in a rain storm, the Wayne CDU800 model certainly offers some food for thought.
The motor is a ½ horsepower motor that is stronger than most sump pumps in this category. It is fully submersible and comes with a vertically-positioned switch. The casing is made of cast iron for greater protection from outside elements, and the base is also cast iron rather than plastic. The impeller is constructed from polycarbonate that’s been strengthened. The steel fasteners are made of stainless steel and have been treated to protect from corrosion.The CDU800 is intended for installation inside a sump basin that is at least 11-inches in diameter to accommodate the unit. It is capable of pumping out 4,200 gallons of water per minute which drops depending on the upwards direction of the water via a one ½-inch discharge diameter. Suction is powerful and intended to clear debris efficiently to avoid the frequency of clogging. There is a mechanical seal that’s ceramic for reliable performance.
The engine already comes with oil and avoids overheating through a thermal system. The ball bearings remain lubricated; the motor windings avoid damage due to the thermal protection, and the grounded 3-prong electrical plug runs through an 8-foot power cord to access power outlets outside the sump basin.The switch uses two poles to ensure that should one switch get stuck in the ON position, the second pole will not. The inclusion of this feature avoids the prospect of the engine overheating and blowing out due to a switch that became stuck.There is a 3-year limited warranty with this product which is quite generous.
Some Pros And Cons Of WAYNE CDU800 Sump Pump
• Backup sump pump capable of pumping 4,200 gallons of water per minute
• ½ horsepower engine
• Two pole switch that avoids sticking in the ON position
• Switch trips when water reached 9-inch level
• Steel motor housing with epoxy coating
• Pump base is cast iron
• Fully submersible
• Quality suction clears most debris
• Polycarbonate Impeller
• Two check valves
• Only pumps water when the water level is at least 4-inches deep
The WAYNE EEAUP250 Submersible Sump Pump
The Wayne EEAUP250 1/4 HP Automatic ON/OFF Electric Water Removal Pump is a semi-portable system for dealing with problematic water collection below a flat roof, near window wells, closed spaces, and other areas. The pump can be used to remove water from a sump basin but also serves multiple purposes across larger properties.Wayne is not a new pump manufacturer. They’ve been involved with basement, well and lawn management for the past eight decades under Wayne Water Systems, as a division of Scott Fetzer. Their pumps are assembled in the USA using both domestic and international sources parts.
The EEAUP250 is a ¼ horsepower water pump that is powered by electricity. It does not operate unless supplied a feed of power from somewhere. The pump produces a maximum flow of 3,000 gallons per hour which is enough to handle almost any flooding situation head on. When dispersing water 10-feet higher than the pump’s location, the flow rate drops below 1,800 gallons per hour which are still more than adequate under most circumstances.The pump is fully submersible due to its thermoplastic sealed design which avoids leaks that would shut down the ¼ horsepower engine. The I-Switch has sensors that detect water and turns on the pump to begin the removal of surrounding water until it is ¾ inches deep or less. The switch won’t trigger the engine to turn on unless the water is deep enough. The unit does a better job of clearing out water at lower levels than sump pumps than turn off when water levels are higher.
There is easy to use adapter that’ll fit a garden hose without difficulty, but fitting a ¼-inch sump pump hose instead usually delivers a better result. The main advantage of this pump is its flexible use. Place it in a flooded basement, flat roof, inside a boat or even in a depression on a long driveway, and it’ll get to work pumping out the remaining water as long as the water is already deep enough.There is a one year warranty included with the purchase of this product.
Some Pros And Cons Of Wayne Submersible Sump Pump
• Portable water pump that pumps out collected water from many types of locations
• AC powered
• ¼ horsepower motor
• Sealed thermoplastic design
• Lighter than cast iron pumps
• Small enough to fit inside storm drains and confined spaces that sump pumps don’t squeeze inside
• Intelligent switch which turns on/off the pump as needed
• Sensitive to ¾ inches of water and high levels
• Activated with water levels lower than a traditional sump pump does
• Standard garden hose fitting for water flow removal
• Resists corrosion
• Won’t dry out water levels below one ¾ inch of water in flooded basements
• No backup battery system
• Not as durable as cast iron sump pumps
• Pump likely to freeze and break in freezing conditions
• Removal required in winter when temperatures start to drop; risk of damage to the unit if the homeowner forgets about this pump
• A sump pump check valve should be purchased separately to enjoy fewer maintenance problems
Must Read Related Article:-
Zoeller M53 Mighty-Mate 1/3 HP Submersible Sump Pump
Put simply; a sump pump is designed to remove water from a sump basin underneath a home or commercial property. Any water collected over time puts the home at risk from damp and other types of water damage. The collected water is removable using either an external or submersible pump which includes a motor and power unit, whether that’s simply a direct connect to a power outlet or the use of a battery system. The water is then pumped out to a water well or other suitable spot away from home.It was previously acceptable to dispose of collected water down a municipal water system drain, but due to potential clogging, this is often against regulations locally and is no longer advisable.Here we review best sump pump system, covering his main features, as well as the pros and cons:
Zoeller M53 Mighty-Mate 1/3 HP Submersible Sump Pump
The Zoeller M53 Mighty-mate Submersible Sump Pump is anAC-powered pumping system to be placed under the house or apartment block. It is entirely submersible where it becomes operational when placed in greater than 7 inches of water and shuts down when water depth is only 3 inches deep.The M53 is capable of pumping 43 gallons every minute. The Zoeller can pump out half-inch solid material too and 1.5-inch discharges. The Zoeller brand is well respected for its reliability.The vortex impeller that’s fitted here is designed not to clog up. With that said, all sump pumps require some form of maintenance as none of them will last forever, and they do stop working when not semi-regularly maintained. Among plumbers, the M53 is seen as a reliable unit which avoids late-night calls to come out to fix a flooding basement due to a failed sump pump.
Given that this unit doesn’t come with its own battery system, the Zoeller M53 relies on a continuing electrical supply from the mains or a backup generator that kicks in during a brownout, power cut or other cause for a complete loss of electricity in the home. In the event of a heavy storm that combines with a power cut, the pump’s engine will not function. For concerned homeowners, either a backup battery-powered sump pump or a backup generator are required to enable the pump to keep operating when the sump basin is under 7-inches of water and the home is at risk of flooding
The 1/3 horsepower engine isn’t the most powerful engine seen (Zoeller certainly have some pumps in their considerable range with higher power capacities). Nonetheless, the engine is an impressive one which comes pre-loaded with oil and includes a thermal overloading protection system. Cast iron for the outer shell protects the motor, pump, and switch.Two flow holes around the pump assembly must be free of obstruction otherwise fluids won’t be able to escape.The switch is automatically activated the water is detected to have reached the necessary level. The switch is capable of turning on/off quickly and efficiently. It doesn’t last longer than 3-5 years due to its persistent activation in a storm, but is replaceable using a simple screwdriver.
It is also necessary to remove the thermoplastic base to clear the pump of collective debris that will cause a blockage. The exit pipe is easily blocked when too much debris clogs up the system. Fortunately, the M53 is built in a way that it only takes a handful of screws to be removed to fix the issue so the plastic impeller keeps turning well. The check valve should also function properly after cleaning up the pump, and this can be validated before putting it back together again.The 9-foot power cord is surely enough to connect the 115-volt pump up to a nearby electrical socket in the home. When using a power cord extension, it’s necessary to waterproof it properly to avoid shorting out the electrical circuit.
Detailed Pros And cons of Zoeller M53 Mighty-Mate 1/3 HP Submersible Sump Pump
• Cast iron structure to protect and waterproof the engine, pump, and switch
• Fully submersible
• Activates automatically when the water level reached 7-inches and automatically cuts out when water is down to 3-inches
• Plastic Vortex impeller designed to avoid clogging up
• Switch easily replaceable
• Easy to clean and maintain
• Vulnerable to simultaneous power brownout at the same time as a violent rain storm hits the area
• 9-foot power cord may be too short
• 1/3 horsepower isn’t as powerful as some other submersible pumps
• No separate backup battery option available
• Switch tends to fail after 3-5 years
• The switch has been known to get stuck in the ON position which could cause the motor to burn out eventually
• Cast iron base instead of plastic would be more durable against sand and gravel
• Cast iron impeller is heavier but less likely be break than the plastic one that comes with the M53 (the Zoeller M57 includes both a cast iron impeller and base)