Category: Battery Sump Pump
Best Battery Backup Sump Pumps Reviews
Water in the basement can come from several sources but most commonly are the result of either a naturally high water table or water welling up in the ground following torrential rain. In these situations sump pumps can be lifesavers or at least home savers. The problem is that all too often the inclement weather that brings the torrential rain is the same inclement weather that knocks out the power, thereby rendering your sump pump inoperative.The solution is to have a backup pump on hand and one that isn’t dependent on the power grid. Battery powered backups are becoming increasingly commonplace but how do you know which is the best sump pump with good battery backup and which ones are the pretenders? Below we’ll look at what we consider the 5 best battery powered backups on the market today.
TOP 5 BATTERY BACKUP SUMP PUMPS
WAYNE ESP25 12 Volt Battery Backup for Sump Pump
The ESP25 battery powered backup from Wayne is a tough customer that can pump up to 3300 gallons of water per hour. That should be enough to deal with all but the most extreme flooding conditions and keep in you good shape until the primary power comes back on. The ESP25’s 1/3 horsepower motor is powered by a 12 volt DC power source. The polyethylene battery case is plenty sturdy and can accommodate a group 27 lead acid battery. The ESP25 is a standalone piece of equipment that will work as a backup to just about any sump pump currently on the market. Primary features include:
● 3300 gallons per hour or 2300 gallons per hour at 10 feet of lift. ● Thermoplastic housing is corrosion proof. ● Backup system activation alarm. ● Assembled with the foreign and domestic part in the USA. ● 1 year limited warranty.
The ESP25 doesn’t require any high tech wizardry to determine if it’s time to switch on. A single float switch does the trick. Simply put, if the water is high enough to activate the pump the pump comes on. The thinking here is that the backup should engage not only when the main has failed, but when the main is having difficulty keeping up with volume. It’s a common sense approach that’s refreshing.
With a fully charged battery this unit should be able to keep your basement dry for up to 3 days. With the Wayne ESP25 on the job you’ll never again worry about power outages or whether your current pump will keep up with extraordinary weather events.
WAYNE WSS30V Pre-Assembled 120/12V 1/2 HP Primary and Battery Backup Combination Sump Pump
The second item on our list is another Wayne product. This time the WSS30V 1/2 HP Primary/Battery Backup combo sump pump. The WSS30V arrives pre-assembled with both primary (Wayne CDU800 ½-HP AC motor) and backup pump (Wayne ESP25 – see above) tied together in a single unit you drop into the sump pit. Once installed there’s no need to worry about your sump pump failing you again. If the power goes out on the CDU800, the ESP25 kicks right in ensuring the basement stays dry. Features of this dynamic duo include:
● CDU800 is one of Wayne’s most dependable designs. ● CDU800 will remove 4200 gallons per hour. ● The high-performance ESP25 backup will move 3300 gallons per hour. ● Built-in alarm system to let homeowners know when the backup has kicked in. ● Unit tested to 1 million cycles. ● CDU800 features permanently lubricated ball bearings. ● Both pumps backflow protected.
As far as sump pumps go this is the dream team. Featuring both Wayne’s heralded CDU800 main and their dependable and practically-good-enough-to-be-a-main ESP25 battery powered backup. It may be the best combination main pump/ sump pump battery backup on the market for the average homeowner. Its ease of installation and a ridiculously reasonable price tag for a two pump unit make the WSS30V hard to resist. And even though you’ll have to shell out for a deep-cycle battery for the backup unit it’s not enough of an expense to be anything close to a deal breaker. The bottom line is that if you want to put an end to your basement water issues the WSS30V is the unit you want.
Liberty Pumps SJ10 1-1/2-Inch Discharge SumpJet Water Powered Back-Up Pump
The Liberty Pumps SJ10 has been designed and built to fulfill backup duty and nothing more: a job it does admirably. The SJ10 doesn’t require electricity to operate but instead uses water to from the municipal system at 20-100PSI to get it going. It removes 2 gallons of sump water for every gallon it draws from the municipal supply. Don’t try hooking the SJ10 to the municipal system with a garden hose however. Instead use 3/4 inch copper tubing, copper pipe, PRX tubing or something comparable. Features of the SJ10 include:
● The SJ10 is fully automatic. ● Comes fully assembled. ● Stainless steel adjustable hose clamp makes for easy mounting. ● Compact design will fit in most sump pits. ● Will accept anywhere from 20-100PSI inlet pressure. ● Features a 2-1 water removal/use ratio. ● Highly-durable PVC construction. ● Removable foot value. ● UPC approved.
The ultra-compact, efficient design of the Liberty Pump SJ10 makes it ideal for tight sumps. If there’s a drawback it’s that when the pump kicks in it’s going to start guzzling water and won’t stop until the emergency passes. As a result you’ll see a pretty hefty water bill next month. On the other hand though your basement will be dry and you’ll have saved potentially thousands of dollars in flood renovation costs.
WAYNE WSM3300 Sump Minder Advanced Notification Battery Back-Up Sump Pump System
Now that we’ve taken our detour outside lines with SJ10 (above) let’s head back to Wayne Manor for the WSM3300 Sump Minder sump pump with battery backup system. The Wayne Sump Minder is unique in that it’s the only sump pump backup that monitors the status of both your primary and backup pumps and alerts you if it detects a problem. Monitoring of the sump pump system occurs every two weeks with any necessary alerts sent directly to your smart phone. In that sense it’s one of the few sump pump related devices that joins the ranks of the Internet of things. Other features include:
● Moves up to 3000 gallons of water per hour. ● Continually monitors your sump pump system including AC power and battery. ● Microprocessor controls allow you to program in as many as three phone number. ● Smart charger technology returns the battery to preferred levels. ● Up to 4 days of backup basement protection during an outage. ● Built-in LCD screen for easy programmability. ● Double float switch ensures it never misses a problem.
With the SWM3300’s monitoring capabilities you never have to worry about your sump pump system not answering the call. Microprocessor control lets you sleep easy knowing the system is under constant internal surveillance and that any anomalies will be reported to the phone of your choice without delay upon detection.
Zoeller 507-0005 Basement Sentry Battery Backup Sump Pump
The Zoeller 507 sump pump system is designed to pick up the slack when the electricity goes out and it does yeoman’s work in the performance of that task. Due to its compact size and weight the 507 can be installed in the same pit with the primary pump in many cases (depending of course on the diameter of your sump pit). Features include:
● Guards against water intrusions whenever the primary pump has failed or power is out. ● Battery burns out and overcharge protection standard. ● 10 amp recharger built into the device. ● Automatic, solid state controls. ● Light indicators and alarm warning systems.
The housing of the Zoeller 507 is made of durable thermoplastic which is corrosion proof and tough as steel. Homeowners will appreciate the fact that the 507 can be introduced into their existing sump pit without having to do the additional excavation. The unit also has an oversized pump float for greater dependability in all cases and there is a clearly visible LED indicator that tells you:
● When the main power is out. ● When power is going to the backup battery. ● When said the battery is completely charged. ● When that same battery is low and ● When the 507 is in service but the alarm is on silent.
And there’s more. If the lead cables have been improperly connected there is an alarm that sounds. Ditto when the battery is in service due to high water in the pit or when the battery charge is getting low.
Of course the zoeller sump pump for your home is the one that fits all your particular requirements. But there are a slew of things that go into making that determination including build quality, gallons moved per hour, durability, size and, of course, price. All of the units reviewed here would be more than adequate to serve the needs of the average homeowner and to serve those needs dependably for many years. We hope you found this review of the 5 best battery backup sump pump units helpful.