Anyone with a home or business in an area that is flood-prone or has a high water table needs a good sump pump in their basement holding down the fort. The sump pump keeps water out of the basement and in doing so prevents water damage to the foundation, fends off the growth of dangerous molds and ensures things you have stored downstairs don’t fall victim to flooding. The thing is, as powerful as many sump pumps are they can’t keep the entire water table at bay all by themselves. Sure, they can and do remove water before it becomes a problem. But unless you’ve got a high quality check valve installed there’s a good chance some of that water is going to wind up rushing back down the line back into your basement once the pump has been switched off.
Like many of the most useful pieces of technology (think deadbolts and umbrellas) the check valve is a remarkably simple device. It has a one way valve that allows water to move out but then closes to prevent any water that may be in the line from rushing back in. That’s it. But while the check valve is simple in concept not all check valves are created equal. Below are the best check valves on the market today.
TOP 5 Best Sump pump Check Valve Comparison Chart
Name - Zoeller 30-0181
Item Weight - 14.4 ounces
Product Dimensions - 9.8 x 17.5 x 6.8 inches
Name - Zoeller 30-0041
Item Weight - 1.15 pounds
Product Dimensions - 1 x 1 x 1 inches
Name - Wayne Pumps 66005
Item Weight - 4 ounces
Product Dimensions - 3 x 3 x 8.5 inches
Name - Campbell CHECK VALVE QUIET CLR1.5
Item Weight - 1.2 pounds
Product Dimensions - 3.3 x 3.3 x 9.5 inches
Name - Superior Pump 99555
Item Weight - 7.2 ounces
Product Dimensions - 8 x 3 x 3 inches
Top 5 Sump Pump Check Valve
- Zoeller 30-0181 PVC Plastic
- Zoeller 30-0041 50 psi PVC 2-Port
- Wayne Pumps 66005 PVC
- Campbell B00JFF205Y
- Superior Pump 99555 Universal Check Valve
1.Zoeller 30-0181 PVC Plastic Sump Pump Check Valve
Zoeller has been making high-quality pumps for 80 years. Their reputation extends beyond just the pump itself however, to include a full line of peripherals including this simple but effective PVC check valve. The 30-0181 is compatible with any 1.5 inch discharge pipe. Which means it will fit easily on virtually any sump pump from any maker. The 30-0181 can be installed either horizontally or vertically by anyone with a modicum of experience with a few simple tools.
There’s nothing complicated about this device. It’s composed of 3 parts; the central valve portion and two removable rubber flanges that fit over each end of the valve and the corresponding ends of the discharge pipe. Just slip them into place and secure them by tightening the screw down clamps and you’re all set. It’s hard to believe that such a simple piece of technology could actually save your home from calamity, but it’s true.
- You can install this check valve either horizontally or vertically with equal effectiveness.
- Can be installed by virtually anyone in just a few minutes using a standard screwdriver.
- It costs about as much as a pizza but could, over the years, wind up saving your home or business.
- While you don’t need to be a plumber to install this device you do need to follow the instructions carefully in order to fit it properly to the disposal line.
2.Zoeller 30-0041 50 psi PVC 2-Port Check Valve
Zoeller is back with a slightly more elaborate, but equally easy to install, transparent PVC check valve; the 30-0041. What we love about this particular valve is that it enables you to keep an eye on its inner workings. If anything winds up blocking the gate, or otherwise mucking up the valve or its operation, you’ll be able to see exactly what it is and take care of it. With an opaque valve you’re pretty much left guessing when things go wrong.
The 30-0041 is fashioned from high quality PVC and uses compression end fittings that make installation insanely easy. You can install it in minutes on any part of the discharge pipe and it will prevent water from rushing back into the sump and causing problems. The 30-0041 will handle large volumes of waste water with ease and will never be the weak link in your water evacuation efforts. It doesn’t require any special expertise to install and once in place should provide many years of reliable service.
- An incredibly simple device that any reasonably handy DIYer can install in minutes.
- The compression end fittings ensure you get a nice tight fit every time.
- It does a good job reducing noise traditionally associated with the sump pump.
- It’s larger than you think it is.
- You may have to do some searching to find information on how to install it properly.
3.Wayne Pumps 66005 PVC Check Valve
The Wayne Pumps 66005 PVC Check Valve is designed to accommodate a range of different sump pumps. To that end it features a threaded 1.5 inch male couplet at one end and both a 1.5 inch standard and a 1.25 inch reducer boot at the other end. Installing the valve is easy as pie and takes only a few minutes. Once in place your home will be protected from destructive backwash racing down the discharge pipe damaging the pump and perhaps spilling over into the basement.
The 66005 PVC Check Valve doesn’t look like much but that’s part of its appeal. It’s an understated piece of technology that slides into place and lets you rest easier at night. If you aren’t sure exactly which check valve would be right for your sump pump this is a great way to cover the different bases. It comes with the check valve, the rubber reducer boot and 2 stainless steel screw clamps that ensure a nice snug fit.
- The PVC construction ensures you won’t have to deal with corrosion somewhere down the line.
- It’s very easy to attach this check valve to just about any sump pump system.
- It can be used on all pedestal and submerged sump pumps that have a 1.5 inch discharge pipe.
- It’s not brass so of course it’s not going to have the strength of brass. But it should be plenty strong for most systems.
4.Campbell B00JFF205Y Check Valve
The Campbell B00JFF205Y (we’ll call it the B00) is another transparent check valve that allows you to keep a watchful eye on its inner workings. This particular valve is compatible with any 1.5 inch discharge pipe. Although if you needed to it wouldn’t be a big deal adapting it to a different diameter pipe. It’s a handsome sump pump accessory (if there can be such a thing) and it’s as easy to install as it is easy on the eye.
The gate is held in place with a strong stainless steel spring. There are compression end fittings that eliminate the need to bring along the tool box. (Although you may want to add a bit of adhesive just to ensure things stay where you want them to.) Perhaps the thing we’re most impressed with about the B00 is how much it reduces noise from the sump pump setup. You could make an argument that it’s the best on the market in that regard. Just as a bit of icing on the cake it will handle pressures up to 300 psi and water up to 120 Fahrenheit.
- Incredibly easy to install by any reasonably handy person on most any sump pump system.
- The clear poly vinyl chloride (PVC) mid-section lets you keep an eye on the valve.
- It can handle water up to 120 degrees Fahrenheit and 300 psi.
- It does a great job reducing the noise associated with most check valves.
- Regardless of what the marketing says it’s not as dependable if installed horizontally
5.Superior Pump 99555 Universal Check Valve
The last item on our list is the 99555 from Superior Pump. This is a universal best sump pump check valve compatible with all 1.5 and 1.25 inch discharge pipes. Like the other items on our list it’s incredibly easy to install and doesn’t require any special tools to do so. The 99555 is simplicity incarnate and yet provides effective protection against the scourge of sump pump backwash.
While it may take a bit of work to prepare the discharge line to accept the check valve it’s not all that difficult. And once the pipe is ready installation shouldn’t take more than a few minutes. Although it doesn’t have that nice transparent mid-section it’s nonetheless an effective bulwark against return water and it costs less than you’d pay for a mop to clean up the mess if you don’t install it.
- Compatible with most standard sump pump drain lines.
- Fashioned from durable acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) plastic.
- The ultra-simple concept works like a charm and helps to drastically reduce that clunking sound sump pumps can make.
- Looks like a cast iron valve but it’s actually ABS plastic. Just be aware of that before you buy it.
- Not as easy to install as some of the other valves on our list.
The Bottom Line
Not having an effective check valve in place means courting disaster. There is really no excuse for not having one because they’re extremely affordable and can be installed by just about anybody. Just keep the following things in mind when shopping for a check valve:
- The diameter of the discharge line – Not all discharge lines on all sump pumps are the same diameter. Before you purchase a check valve make sure to either check the owner’s manual for your sump pump or to measure the discharge pipe.
- The material the valve is made from – Some check valves are made from stainless steel or brass. These are always solid options but most people today opt for ABS or PVC plastic. They’re light, easy to install and very affordable.
- PSI – Different pumps discharge water at different pressures. If your check valve isn’t built to withstand the pressure generated by your pump you’ll have a mess on your hand. Check the owner’s manual for the pump to find out what the PSI is.